Friday, July 26, 2013

Pics of Moccasin Holler

I have been sharing my Moccasin Holler Memoirs for a while now and I want to share some pics of Moccasin Holler.  Yep, there is a Moccasin Holler.
Let's start at the beginning.  This is Mama and Daddy, the newlyweds, standing in front of their first home.  Notice the house in the foreground, you will be seeing more of it.  At the time the pic was taken, Mama's parents lived there.
In this pic my little sis, Juletta, and I are standing in the front yard of the house where we grew up.  Seeing the road brings back so many memories.  We jump on our bikes and ride anywhere we wanted, just as long as we were home before dark.  You are also seeing Moccasin Holler...it looked like this for about a 4 mile stretch.  A few houses were scattered along the road, but for the most part there were fields of cotton, soybeans and corn.  Our closest neighbors were about two miles either way down the road!
 I want to fast forward a lot of years and show you another shot of my boys in about the same spot as my sister and I in the last pic.  This one shows  part of the pasture and one of the barns. In the foreground is the house where I was born and spent the first 8 years of my life.  There is also a better view of Moccasin Holler!!
 This is our castle!  See the antenna in the center of the pic on the far side of the house?  I shimmied up it almost every day to sit on the roof.  I loved looking at the livestock grazing in the beautiful tree filled pasture and daydreaming about things that fill a little girls head. 
I
 Oh, how I would love to be able to sit in the porch swing with Mama one more time. Here, we are getting my baby brother to sleep while my faithful friend, Boy, looks on.

I'm gonna leave you with this.  This has been bittersweet for me.  The house burned down several years ago and the whole farm, including where the house and pasture set, is now a rice paddy.  I was blessed to have been born and raised at this particular spot in Moccasin Holler.  I miss it still and hope you have enjoyed seeing the pics as much as I have enjoyed sharing them.
 
Judy
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you.
Judy